On this week’s show, we spoke with Mark Maclean, Senior Director @ Montréal International. Mark is the Senior Director of Business Development for the West Coast, Latin America and Entrepreneurship at Montréal International. His role is to promote the Montréal business environment to foreign companies, supporting their set up or expansion in Greater Montréal. Since joining Montréal International in 2016, Mark has supported multiple international AI expansions; including Maluuba (Microsoft), Google Brain, and Facebook AI Research—in addition to supporting startups establish a presence in Montréal. Previously, Mark was a senior manager at EY in the tax incentive group for small to medium companies, with a focus on tech startups. He is a volunteer and mentor at the Foundation Montréal inc. and actively participates in mentoring events at Concordia University. Mark holds a Bachelor of Science from Concordia, a diploma in entrepreneurship from McGill University, and an MBA from the John Molson School of Business.
On the show, we spoke about
- How he went from studying biology to the world of tech startups
- The benefit of an undergrad degree
- How he participated in the resurgence of Montreal’s startup ecosystem
- His role at Montreal International and how he seeks to help with economic development
- Montreal’s potential to become the world leader in AI
- How visual effects is a growing industry in the city
- The challenge of talent
- Some key players like Tandem Launch, Element AI, Algolux and Sportlogic
Mark proudly represents my fine city and I’m happy that he took the time to sit down and chat. I hope that you enjoy the conversation!
Let us know what you think. What types of guests would like to see on the show? What topics interest you the most? Send me your thoughts at firstname.lastname@example.org